Reading Teen

Two "young adult" moms and their teens chat about books together!

Archetype

Archetype - M.D. Waters 4.5 Stars

At a Glance:

This science-fiction/romance/dystopian/mystery novel was full of everything that I love in a book. The plot twists truly had my jaw dropping, the romance had me confused and swoony at the same time, and the writing kept me loving this book from beginning to end.

Wow! What a whirlwind!

A side-note:

I came across this book pretty much by accident. I was browsing the teen/YA section at STRAND and saw this book. I thought I remembered Hannah (Irish Banana) saying that she really loved it, and it didn't come out until Feb, so I bought it. Needless to say, this book was not shelved properly (*waves to chapter 16* O_O ), but I'm so glad that STRAND made this happy mistake.

Cover:

I like the cover a lot, especially now that I've read it, and it has meaning. In person it's really shiny, so there's that.

Action:

The beginning of the story doesn't have a whole lot of action, except for the few dreams that Emma is having. But the end? Yeah. My heart was racing, all the things were happening, my heart was exploding. It was pretty intense, and I absolutely loved it!

Romance:

This was one of the most bizarre books for me as far as the romance goes. I knew from the synopsis that there was something off about Declan, so I just could never trust him. BUT, I still found myself....feeling like Emma did about him. And in the end, I'm glad that the author was able to do that, because things weren't what I thought. Then there's the addition of mystery man, Noah. I just wanted them to meet and run off into the sunset together...but of course things aren't that easy. Needless to say, things get super steamy (OH YEAH! NOT A TEEN BOOK :P ) and my feelings were just all twisty. It was kind of awesome.

Heroine:

Emma was an interesting heroine because half the book she had no idea who she was, or what was going on in her life. I think I would have liked it if she had taken a little more initiative sooner, trying to learn about her past, but that's just because I wanted to KNOW, and I'm impatient. Once she starts to uncover her past, I really like the glimpses into who she is. I have a feeling she's going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next book!

Hero:

Who is the hero? Who is the villain? I'm still not even sure. I love complex characters. I love villains who have good in them, and heroes who have a little bad. When you find yourself sympathizing with the one you're supposed to hate, and wanting the punch the one you're supposed to love, you know it's a good story!

Favorite Supporting Character:

That's going to have to be Foster. I adore his personality! I love it when there's a strong male/female friendship. I hope we get to see more of him in book 2.

Something I loved:

I didn't know anything about ARCHETYPE when I picked it up, so I had no expectations. When I first started reading, I told my friend that sometimes you can just tell on the second page that you're going to connect with the writing, and I definitely did.

Something(s) I hated:

There wasn't anything I hated. I think the middle might have moved a little slowly, which some might have a problem with, but I was never bored. I think that has to do with liking the writing so much.

Cliffhanger?

Uh...yeah. Talk about ripping my heart out then leaving me hanging! And that epilogue???

Would I recommend it?

Yes, most definitely (but not to young teens).

Will I buy/keep it?

YES! I already bought it, and it'll find a permanent home on my keeper shelf.

Book Doppelgangers:

Wither by Lauren DeStefano, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Crewel by Gennifer Albin

I can't wait for PROTOTYPE!

-Andye