Reading Teen

Two "young adult" moms and their teens chat about books together!

Defy

Defy - Sara B. Larson I feel like this book was SO CLOSE to being really good.

When I received DEFY in the mail, I was really excited. Fantasy is my absolute favorite genre, and there's just not enough of it out there. Then add in the girl who has to masquerade as a boy storyline, and yeah....it sounded like perfection (The Burning Sky was one of my favorite reads of the year!)

DEFY reminded me of a mix between Graceling by Kristin Cashore and Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas. Immediately I was drawn into the story, and I found myself really enjoying it. The mystery surrounding why Alexa's parents were killed, the uncanny fighting ability that Alexa possessed, the fact that she had to pretend to be a boy to avoid the horrendous breeding houses, were all things that drew me in and made me want to keep reading.

From beginning to end, the mystery, the fight scenes, the storyline, and the characters all had me intrigued. But there was something about this book that consistently drew me out of the story and made it difficult for me to get through.

The Romance.

I can't tell you how bad it was for me. I don't know if others will have the same reaction that I did, but I almost couldn't take it. I swear it was like there were two different people writing this book, one that I loved, and one that almost made my eyes get permanently stuck in the back of my head. I rolled my eyes over this romance more times than I can count. It was just....cheesy. From the descriptions of the cliche gorgeous boys (with the warm brown eyes and the piercing/startlingly blue eyes), to the INTSA-I'M-IN-LOVE-WITH-YOU, to the constant manipulations, and the awkward dialog and declarations, it was just too much. Warm, brown-eyed Rylan was a total If-you-don't-like-me-I'm-going-to-treat-you-like-crap, creep. And Alexa would just apologize over and over...as if she did anything wrong....to try to make him happy. Yuck! Then there's Prince Damian. He wasn't quite as bad, though he did like to use manipulation to make Alexa feel badly for questioning him about anything...ever. Yet, even though she basically knew nothing about him, she just fell all over herself any time he even looked at her.

I feel a rant coming on.

I think this is one of those times that a girl is called "strong" because she can fight, and "act like a boy," but any time she was "acting like a girl," she was portrayed as weak, and that really bothered me. As soon as she was revealed as a girl, she suddenly became all starry-eyed and lived in a constant state of BLUSHING (seriously, I swear she was blushing every other page). She didn't stand up to Rylan or Damian, and she was constantly being manipulated. It just did not sit well with me.

Anyway...overall, I really did like the story. I feel like if this book had just been edited a little more, it could have been really fantastic, but for me, it just missed the mark. Maybe others won't have the same reaction to the romance that I did. Hopefully.

Dreams of Gods & Monsters